July 31, 2006
 
Bewitched
Okay, I'll admit, this isn't the most important thing going on in Japan (although sales are at $933 million after just four years of existence, which does make it somewhat intersting) ...

But I have to tell you about my favorite brand of purses and handbags there: Samantha Thavasa. They are so cute, I can't resist buying one almost every time I go to Tokyo.

A friend told me the name of the company came from the TV show Bewitched where Elizabeth Montgomery played the perfectly 50's housewife Samantha (who was secretly a witch) and her daughter (also magic) was named Tabitha. Thavasa is sort of like the way we pronounce Tabitha.

Anyway, the purses are to die for! They all have really cute colors and designs, are high quality materials and stitching, and use fake fur, jewels, ribbons and other things that make them very different from the mostly leather Daniel Boone style purses they sell here in San Francisco department stores.

In Japan, we like to change our purse almost every day to suit our mood and outfit. We don't really tend to stick to one old faithful all purpose bag. They've been around in Tokyo for a couple of years now (where they were invented), and I've heard they're going to go on sale in New York sometime later this Spring (2006).

I think American women would love them. I'm not sure why they're not here yet. It gets so dull only using leather and plastic. Sometimes a girl wants to look like a girl ...

Here's Samantha Thavasa's website: http://www.samantha.co.jp/

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?